Skip To Content

PCS to Paradise: Military relocation to Honolulu

Not only does Uncle Sam want you, so does the State of Hawaii. Billions of dollars pour into the Hawaiian economy each year from the armed forces. In fact, the military is second only to tourism as a source of revenue for the islands. The largest industrial employer in the state is Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard. Military memorials and museums are also the leading tourist destinations in Hawaii. What’s more, Armed Services members are known for their volunteerism in projects like “Adopt-a-School,” and environmental cleanups. And there are more military-age people actually in the military in Hawaii than in any other state, nearly 5 percent of the population.

So will Hawaiians be happy to see you if you are stationed in their island state? You betcha.

Before Arriving

You have a lot to think about now: housing, neighborhoods, schools, moving your household goods¼ Once you’ve received your PCS orders, you will want to make an early visit to your Relocation Office or Housing Office for advice about how to proceed, but there are also many online resources available to assist you.

  • will provide you with links to your new base and what you need to know about relocating there, including preparations that vary depending on your branch of service and the specific base to which you are transferring.
  • contains basic information to begin arranging your move. The “Military Installations” link describes bases from the standpoint of information newcomers would want to know, so that you can learn basic facts about what your new base will be like. This information may help allay any qualms you or your children have about your move.
  • The “Plan my Move” tool at helps you plan a three-month calendar of things to do to prepare for your move.
  • There are also a number of guides to military relocation specifically to Hawaii. They include:
  •, an online handbook with sections for each branch of the military and a wealth of relocation information, such as what to do when you arrive at the airport, how to arrange for a rental car, security clearance, medical and dental services, family services, and recreation facilities. It also includes the history of the various bases and the missions of the units housed on the bases.
  • is the Web site for the U.S. Pacific Command. The “Newcomers” menu contains important official information about how to check-in and a number of very useful links to base newspapers, local military commands, elementary and higher education, housing offices, and family service centers.
  • A wealth of vital information for military relocations, from services to entitlements, is available online at This site is a clearinghouse for links to other sites, including parenting, spouse networks, education, employment, elder care, housing, and on and on.
  • offers information about what to do when your PCS orders arrive, whether you should buy or rent, and guides to renting, buying, and selling.
  • You will also want to consult the worldly-wise wife at Her advice on moving comes with experience.
  • You can get information about hotels and motels near bases and make secure online reservations at
  • You can determine your housing allowance for your new location at:, or at:

Homeowner’s Assistance Program

In some cases members of the military may find themselves unable to sell their existing homes at a fair price due to base closures or personnel adjustments. The Homeowners Assistance Program is designed to help military homeowners in these circumstances. You can access their Web site at:

Transporting Personal Effects

Newcomers to Hawaii are often dismayed by the smaller house size common to the islands. You will have to make some very judicious choices about what to bring. Storage space is severely limited, so leave as much of your winter wear (which you won’t need anyway) and heavy equipment behind as you can. Also, keep in mind that super-sized furniture may not fit in a Hawaiian house or apartment. Large appliances are generally provided upon arrival to military members who plan to live in military housing. Other equipment, like lawnmowers, can be rented on base. For example, Hickam’s Equipment Rental Center, (, includes camping supplies, sporting goods, bicycles, and party items like popcorn machines. These may be taken off-base as well. You will probably want to consult the housing office at your new base for advice on what to bring and what to leave behind.

Military and civilian Department of Defense moves have now been centralized for all Armed Forces personnel and are handled through At this site, regardless of which branch of the military you serve, you can book your shipment, track it, and file claims at the end, if necessary. Alternatively, you can arrange everything through your base Transportation Office, which will assign you a counselor to assist you.

“It’s Your Move,”
, is a guide to moving your personal effects for all branches of the Armed Forces. It includes a chart of weight allowances by rank, owner responsibilities, prohibited items, links to relevant IRS forms pertaining to moving expenses and losses, and how to make a claim for items damaged or lost in your move. You can also get information about making a claim for lost or damaged items at:

The Web site
also provides advice about transporting your personal effects.

Your Vehicle

You are entitled to ship one privately owned vehicle (POV) at government expense. To ship more than one, you will need to consult your Transportation Office about restrictions. Shipping a long-term leased vehicle requires written authorization from the leasing company. The timing for shipping varies, depending on the branch of service. You can find information about how and when to ship your POV at For information about where to pick it up and driving in Hawaii, see, or track your vehicle through,

Military Families and Relocation

The Armed Forces have provided numerous resources to help your children acclimate to the disruption of relocation. A listening ear may be what your children need most at this time, but you will also want to have the information necessary to answer your children’s questions and calm their concerns. Here are some of the excellent Web sites containing tips for both parents and kids:

  • Links for both parents and kids are available at:
  • The Military Child Education Coalition Web site includes “Ask Aunt Peggy,” a feature answering all sorts of questions that parents and children have about their moves, which can be found at The best part: you can email Aunt Peggy your own question at: The site also contains a resource for parents to make decisions about which schools their children will attend at their new location,, and a check list of things to bring for transferring students.
  • Military Youth on the Move offers reassurance for the most common concerns kids have, such as, “But I won’t know anyone!” and is grouped by age,
  • “Military Families on the Move,” is a brochure produced by the Military Family Research Institute at Purdue University and is addressed to the child about to move. You can find it online at
  • Advice and a very helpful reading list of books for kids about moving can be found at:
  • is a Christian group dedicated to helping women and children reconnect after a move. The site also contains links for military families.
  • There is also a support group for military spouses at

School Registration

Hawaii has one central Department of Education, which makes all public school assignments based on geographic location. Although you can request a geographic exemption, neighborhood schools are one of the key factors in selecting a housing location. For detailed information about educational options for your children, consult the “Childcare and Education” chapter of this book. Here are some recommended Web sites for military members:

  • includes links for parents about schools in Hawaii and what they will need to get their children registered.
  • If you plan to homeschool your children, you can find helpful links at
  • STOMP,, is an organization dedicated to helping military families with a special needs child. Their staff members are available to help you make decisions and transition your child to the new location, even if the need is as basic as establishing an IEP (Individual Education Plan) in the new school.
  • Aloha, Military Families and Students provides information about transitioning into Hawaiian schools,

Pets and Relocation

One of the best ways to provide continuity and stability for your family, and especially your children, is to bring your pets along. You should know, however, that Hawaii is rabies-free and consequently has very strict regulations for bringing in cats and dogs. Most importantly, you should be aware that your pet will have to undergo quarantine upon arriving in Hawaii.

Pets that have been properly vaccinated, have an implanted microchip and pass other requirements are eligible for a quarantine of five days or less. Others may be held for up to 120 days at the owner’s expense.

To avoid a very costly and stressful quarantine of cats or dogs, it is vital to follow precisely the elaborate and somewhat intimidating regulations detailed in the Department of Agriculture Web site: You can find more information on bringing your pets to Hawaii in the “Getting Settled” chapter of this book. You may also want to contact the authorities directly with your questions:

Animal Quarantine Station

99-951 Halawa Valley Street

Aiea, Hawaii 96701-5602


A number of animals are prohibited for entry or ownership in Hawaii, including alligators, geckos, gerbils, ferrets, hamsters, hermit crabs, snakes, wolf hybrids, and some birds. For questions about whether it is permissible to bring a particular animal, contact the Plant Quarantine Non-Domestic and Microorganism office, 808-832-0566 or 808-837-8413.

Be advised that some military branches have outlawed certain breeds of dogs on base and in government housing. Since each military branch has its own policies for pet ownership, each should be consulted independently.

  • General guidelines for military personnel relocating with pets can be found at:, and also
  • The Humane Society has advice for military members relocating with pets
  • Hickam is one of several bases with its own veterinary clinic. Information about the clinic and base regulations for pets can be found at

Where to live? making Decisions about Housing

You probably already know the main arguments in favor of living in military housing: the ready-made support system that comes from living in a military community; greater mobility and flexibility in case of reassignment or deployment; use of government-issued appliances, and so on. A decade ago, the chief reason military families chose to live in government housing was economic—it simply cost less money, requiring no out-of-pocket expenses for rent, utilities, or appliances. Being able to live in military housing has traditionally been an important benefit of being in the military.

More recently, however, the Department of Defense claims it has made the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH, which service members receive if they do not live in military housing) more accurately reflect actual local housing markets. This should mean that if you rent a house on the civilian market, you will have no out-of-pocket expenses—the same cost benefit as living in military housing. To determine whether a rental would in fact result in no out-of-pocket expenses for you, start by determining your personal housing allowance. You can find the BAH rate tables at

If you want to go a step farther and look into home ownership, you can find tools available to compare rental versus purchase costs, estimate loans (including VA loans), and calculate mortgages at The “Community Housing” menu at provides comparative information on living on and off base, in addition to tools for determining whether renting or buying is your better option.

Of course the best argument in favor of buying a home is the VA Home Loan. A VA Home Loan is a loan offered by private lenders but guaranteed by the VA. Active duty personnel are usually eligible to apply for a VA Home Loan if they have served at least 181 days of regular duty. (An application is not a guarantee of receiving the loan.) There are several good reasons to buy a house with a VA Home Loan. The biggest enticement for first-time home buyers may be that you can purchase a home or condo with no down payment. (There are certain fees attached to closing, and you must be able to pay them, however.) Another important benefit is that your loan can be guaranteed up to $741,250, which is significantly more than most home loans. Banks like that part of the bargain and may be more willing to offer you the loan you need. For complete information about VA Home Loans, including eligibility, benefits, calculators, forms, advice about working with a broker, and how to locate a lender, visit

Purchase of property is one of the ways to establish residency in a state. Before taking steps to change your residency, you and your spouse will want to consider how it will affect you. Where do you want to vote? What kind of impact would a change of residence have on your taxes? Will a change of residence alter your child’s college tuition rates? A guide to these issues, “MSRRA: Consider These Factors Before Declaring a Home State,” can be found at,15356,207800,00.html.

So what is the Honolulu housing market like? According to the U.S. Army Garrison, Hawaii, Directorate of Public Works (, you can expect community rentals in Hawaii to range from $1,000 for a studio apartment to $2,800 for a four-bedroom house. The average cost of a condo is $280,000; that of a single-family home, $600,000. Yes, that is a little higher than what is available on the mainland.

If you plan to purchase a home – or at least considering it – you should contact a real estate agent with experience in military relocation. Such an agent will be able to walk you through the pros and cons of various housing types and to make sure you receive all of the benefits for which you are eligible.


Buying may seem expensive, but paying rent can add up. Here is how much an enlisted with dependent will spend on non-deductible rent payments. Buying means that you are investing this money instead of giving it away.  Is this chart verified? BAH with Dependants?


BAH (2014)






E 1-4: $2,607






E-5: $2,709






E-6: $2,952






E-7: $3,189






E-8: $3,447






E-9: $3,696






Temporary Lodging

You can arrange for temporary lodging for your arrival in Hawaii at For more specifics, consult the information about your individual base given below. To obtain a TLA for non-military lodging, you will first have to apply to the nearest military inn available, and receive an authorization letter from them if no space is available.

On-Base and Government Housing

If you choose to investigate the military housing option, information about on-base housing and procedures for filing applications are located under “Government Housing” at
Another Web site providing information about on-base and off-base housing is

Off-Base Housing Location Services

If you choose to investigate private housing options, you can take comfort in this fact: Hawaii may be new to you, but military personnel are not new to Hawaii. There are many realtors and listings specializing in military relocation. Seeking out a realtor with experience in military relocation will be the best way to ensure that your new home meets your needs, and that you take advantage of any perks available to you when you make the purchase.

The Automated Housing Referral Network,, is a Department of Defense service available to all military members to help with relocation. It assists with locating off-base housing.

The Housing Services Office (HSO) is located at the Fort Shafter Family Housing Office, 808-438-1609, 808-438-1522, 808-438-4811 and 808-438-3820. Among its numerous services, it offers computerized listings of available rental housing, briefings on renting, scheduling appointments to view rentals, transportation to view prospective rentals, lease review, complaint mediation, BAH rates, school information, in-depth maps of Oahu, security deposit for utilities waiver information, and information on the Housing Relocation Assistance Program (HRAP).

Go to to find a helpful guide on military relocation to Honolulu.

You can find links to tenant-landlord rights and also utilities companies at

Hawaii Military Housing and Real Estate Services,, provides off-base listings for sale or rent near bases and includes a housing allowance calculator. lists both rental and sales offerings near bases.

Hawaii State Disabled Veterans Benefits for Residences

The State of Hawaii provides two important supplements to federal veterans’ benefits for housing. These can be viewed at
Qualified, totally disabled veterans can receive up to $5,000 to purchase or upgrade a home to make it handicapped accessible. Tax exemptions are also available for domiciles of disabled vets.

Military Installations

There are currently 20 active military bases on the island of Oahu. WE have listed some of the amenities available at the major bases below. Some of the other bases on the island are Aliamanu Military Reservation, Barbers Point Naval Air Station, Bellows Air Force Station, Coast Guard ISC Honolulu Sand Island, Fort DeRussy, Fort Shafter Army Post, Helemano Military Reservation, Wheeler Army Airfield, and Kilauea Military Camp. You can find information on your base by checking

Air Force: Hickam Air Force Base

Hickam is located only nine miles from downtown Honolulu between Pearl Harbor and Honolulu International Airport.

Amenities on base include restaurants, a golf course, fitness club, and library (including services and links for kids,

A resource that may be worth bookmarking on your computer is, which contains links to local education, employment, government, libraries, newspapers, landlord–tenant information, public transportation, motor vehicle registry, military, recreation, and other useful sites.

Temporary Lodging

The Royal Alaka’i , Building 1153, 808-448-5400, Reservations: DSN 315-448-5888, COM 808-448-5888; Toll Free 888-235-6343, Ext 442, The rates at the Royal Alaka’i are substantially less than amenities off-base. According to the Web site, individuals or families who PCS (Permanent Change of Station) in to Hickam receive top priority for lodging availability and can make reservations for up to 30 nights. If space is unavailable, a Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) Authorization Letter to stay in commercial, off-base lodging can be obtained from the Front Desk.


Air Force personnel who PCS in to Hickam are eligible for 20 free hours of childcare per child within 60 days of their arrival.

Family childcare is available on-base from age two weeks to twelve years. Individual providers set their own rates, but all on-base providers who regularly care for the children of others more than ten hours per week are required to be licensed and receive training from the licensing agencies.

More complete details about available services and applying to be a childcare provider are available at the Hickam Web site,, or the Hickam Family Child Care Office, 808-448-1988.

Youth Programs

Hickam maintains an array of youth programs targeting different age groups ( Fitness, tutoring, special events like Easter Egg Hunts, before- and after-school programs, and a large number of interest clubs for teens are only part of what is available.

An excellent Web site collecting all sorts of information, homework help, and fun for kids is: The information is helpfully grouped by age and ranges from preschool to teen.


Most children living on-base attend one of five K–12 neighborhood public schools: Mokulele, Hickam, and Nimitz Elementary; Aliamanu Intermediate; and Radford High School. In fact, Radford High’s student body is 80 percent military affiliated. Children living off-base attend at their nearest geographic location. Geographic exemptions can be requested. You can find all the information you need to get your children started in school at the “Education, Public and DoDDS Schools” link at:


There is no limit to the number of pets permitted in family housing. Appliances are also provided to families. The procedure for obtaining on-base housing can be found through the Hickam link at It is a two-part procedure, which must be initiated prior to arrival.

Army: Schofield Barracks,
Fort Shafter and Tripler Army Medical Center

Schofield Barracks is located about seventeen miles from Honolulu, near the Wahiawa and Mililani. Fort Shafter and Tripler Army Medical Center are located in Honolulu.

Before You Arrive

Newcomers should consult
relocation.asp for information relating specifically to life on your new base (like a garrison organization chart and welcome from your commander) and links to vital information and base services, such as a Spouses Club, and medical and behavioral services.

The Army Housing Web site is:, where you will find information about the privatized housing available.

A welcome video at will familiarize you with houses and neighborhoods near the army bases.

You can obtain a leasing consultant by contacting one of the
regional army housing offices at:

Army families will want to bookmark, the Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (FMWR) Web site, to keep in touch with all special events and programming designed for army families in Hawaii. FMWR hosts weekly orientations for new families.

And of course you can find supplemental information on all subjects at:

Temporary Lodging

You can obtain information about conveniently located IHG hotels at: Tripler Army Hotel, 877-711-8326, is located near the Tripler Army Medical Center, while Fort Shafter DVQ is located on the base, 877-711-8326; 808-839-2336. The Inn at Schofield can be contacted at 800-490-9638 or

Personal Effects After Arrival

The Joint Personal Property Shipping Office, Pearl Harbor (JPPSO-Hawaii) is responsible for temporary storage or delivery of your personal property once it arrives in Oahu. You can call the JPPSO at 808-473-7760.

U.S. Army Child, Youth and School Services

There are five Army Child Development Centers on Oahu, providing full-day, part-day, or hourly services based on need. Childcare in a home environment is available through the Family Child Care program. You can find details at:, or at:

AMR CYSS Program Registration Office

Bldg. 1782, 808- 833-5393

Schofield Barracks CYS Program Registration Office

556 Heard Ave

Schofield Barracks, Hawaii


Children living on post at Schofield Barracks attend schools in the Central Oahu School District.

School Support Services and the School Liaison Officer provide programming and assistant to support the transition of school-age army offspring. SKIES Unlimited runs Schools of Arts, Sports, Life Skills, and Academics to provide Army youth with supplementary opportunities for success. CYSS also runs a Sports and Fitness program for ages 5-18, Youth Sponsorship to aid in relocation and transition, Middle School/Teen Programs, Outreach Services, Before- and After-School Programs, Day Camps, and many more services, which you can find at:

Fort Shafter has a Youth Center, 808-655-0451, and a Teen Lounge, 808-438-1487, with computer labs and recreational opportunities.


The Army has strict rules regarding pets. Pit bulls, including “American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire, American Staffordshire bull terrier, crosses of these breeds, and any dog with characteristics similar to these breeds” are prohibited on Army installations on Oahu.

Residents of privatized housing are not allowed: pit bulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Chows, wolf hybrids, or any dog exhibiting aggressive behavior. Animals deemed exotics, including reptiles, ferrets, and rats, are also prohibited.

For further specifics, consult:

An FMWR kennel is available for cats and dogs:

FMWR Boarding Kennels

99-951 Halawa Valley Street

Aiea, Hawaii 96701-5602



You can find links to all the information you need, including floor plans for military housing and help deciding whether to rent or buy, at

For off-base housing in the Schofield Barracks area, consult

On-base housing is privatized through Army Hawaii Community Homes, which maintains eleven communities, 808-275-3700,

Army Hawaii Family Housing

Schofield Barracks

690 Glennan Avenue,Building 690

Schofield Barracks, HI 96857

Housing for Fort Shafter is handled through: 808-275-3800,, or:

Army Hawaii Family Housing

111 7th Street, Bldg. 1004

Fort Shafter, HI 96858

Fort Shafter rentals are available on-base through the Housing Office, 808-438-1518.

Off-post housing for Fort Shafter is handled at: Housing Services Office (HSO), 808-438-6198

Navy: Pearl Harbor

Pearl Harbor is roughly eight miles west of Honolulu and only two miles west of Honolulu International Airport. Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (JBPHH) is in the process of combining two bases to provide support for both Navy and Air Force. It is a huge base with services comparable to a small city. A free shuttle bus operates on-base from 9:00 AM until 9:00 PM.

Before You Arrive

You can find links to relocation information at:

The U.S. Pacific Command Web site,
, contains a link to a “Naval Housing Checklist” with vital information for members of the Navy relocating to Hawaii. It is highly recommended that you consult that checklist. Among the other information contained there, you will find that it is mandatory to contact the Navy Housing Office (DSN: 315-474-1903/4; or 808-474-1903/4) 30 days prior to your arrival in Hawaii in order to make an appointment with a housing counselor. You must see a counselor within 72 hours of arrival in order to be eligible for TLA. You are required to make this appointment even if you have already made your own housing arrangements, plan to rent or buy a home, or will live with family or friends.

Temporary Lodging

You can make online reservations for Navy Lodge Hawaii, Pearl Harbor Naval Station, at: If bringing a pet, you must phone ahead: 1-800-NAVY-INN.

Childcare and Schools

The Navy operates several Child Development Centers, but there may be waits for admission. You can call the KIDS LINE, 808-473-5437 to apply for applications and information prior to arrival. Home Providers are also available. For more information about childcare, new parent support, and youth programs, see the “Families” menu at

Most Naval offspring at Pearl Harbor and Naval neighborhoods attend schools in Oahu’s Central District, although some attend the Leeward District.


The Housing Office is called the Navy Aloha Center, 808-474-1820 or DSN 315-474-1800. There is generally a waiting period for available military housing. You can view anticipated wait periods for different areas by checking the following link online: Your family may receive priority if you are enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program. Housing areas exist up to one-hour commuting distance from Pearl Harbor. Forest City Military Communities,, has entered into partnership with the Navy to privatize military housing and revitalize neighborhoods.

Two dogs or cats total are allowed in Navy housing. Birds, guinea pigs, and fish are also allowed. There are size and breed restrictions in some neighborhoods. “Pitt Bulls, Rottweilers, Chow Chows, Doberman Pinschers, German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies, Perro de Presa Canarios, Wolf hybrids, and dogs that have any of their breed lineages including dogs referred to as American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and Staffordshire Terrier” are prohibited. Assistance animals for people with special needs are exempt from these restrictions. Most exotic pets and rodents are prohibited. Permitted pets must be registered.

The Fleet and Family Support Center (FFSC), 808-474-1999, is available to provide information and referral for resources available in the community and at other nearby military installations. Arrival services include a sponsor program and information on housing, schools, home buying, and Lending Closet. Families who choose to live in private residences, whether rented or owned, are not issued appliances, although they may temporarily borrow from the Loan Closet. The Fleet and Family Support Center also offers periodic sessions on Home Buying Skills.

Use of the Automated Housing Referral Network ( is recommended to locate off-base, private housing, whether for purchase or rental. The Housing Services Office (HSO) at Fort Shafter is also available for Navy use.

Marine Corps Base Hawaii

Marine Corps Base Hawaii (MCB) consists of two main bases: Camp Smith, overlooking Pearl Harbor, and MCBH Kaneohe Bay. Kaneohe Bay is the larger of the two. It is located roughly twelve miles northeast of Honolulu and twenty miles from Honolulu International Airport on the Windward side of Oahu. MCBH has fabulous amenities ranging from a golf-course and bowling alley to beaches and picnic areas.

Relocation Information

Because of the small size of Hawaiian housing, personnel are authorized and encouraged to arrange for non-temporary storage at their CONUS (continental U.S.) location.

It is advisable to consult the “Must Know Items” at:

Relocation information is provided at:

There is also a Marine Corps Relocation Assistance packet available for download at:
. This includes information about buying or selling a home.

Everything you want to know about MCBH, from childcare and youth programs to shopping options, is provided at:

There is a Lending Locker available for borrowing small appliances, linens, kitchen items, and some infant and toddler items, 808-257-7790.

A welcome video can be viewed at:

For information about what you will need to do immediately upon arrival, consult:


The Housing Assistance Office for MCBH Kaneohe Bay is:

MCBH Kaneohe Bay

Marine and Family Services

Relocation Assistance Program

Bldg. 216, C Street, Rm 59

Kaneohe Bay HI 96863-3073

808- 257-7788, DSN 457

Temporary Lodging

The Cottages at Kaneohe Bay, 808-254-2806, is the main facility for Marines Corps personnel arriving on Oahu.

School Registration

A School Liaison Office, 808-257-8897, is available to facilitate your child’s transition into school. is a Web site with links that can help you determine where your child should attend school. Assignments to public school are made by the Department of Education.


“Full or mixed breeds of Pit Bulls, Rottweilers and canid/wolf hybrids are prohibited” from government or PPV housing. Pet ownership is limited to a total of two dogs or two cats or one of each. Breeding of pets, even unintentionally, is prohibited. You can view the full regulations for pet ownership on base at:


Forest City Military Communities,, is the PPV partner for the Marine bases in Hawaii. On-base private rental housing, Section 802, is also available at MCBH Kaneohe Bay; for more information, call 808-257-4005. The MCB Hawaii Housing Office can be reached at: DSN 457-1257, COMM 808-257-1257 or 866-224-7942, The latter Web site includes a link for checking where you are on the housing wait-list. You can be wait-listed prior to arrival, but housing assignments are not made until you actually arrive. You are, however, permitted to accept and move into housing up to two weeks before your family arrives. Housing application forms can be downloaded at:

You are required to check-in with Housing Office even if you plan to arrange for private housing.


Coast Guard: Integrated Support Command

USCG Integrated Support Command (ISC) Honolulu is located near the Honolulu International Airport, about nine miles from Honolulu.

The Coast Guard has an extremely thorough relocation to Hawaii handbook that you can download at:
. Since you will find virtually everything you will need in the handbook, WE are including only a few other points of interest.

You must check in with your unit and local Housing Officer for TLA to commence. If you are accompanied by family, you may check in with your local Housing Officer no later than the next day after arrival.

Coast Guard housing is now privatized on Oahu and maintained by Army Hawaii Family Housing, which does not allow pit bulls. Placement on their waiting list can not be made until after your arrival. You will receive all necessary information when you check-in with the Housing Officer.

The Family Resource Specialist, 808-842-2089, will provide information about childcare. Residents of KKH/Red Hill Housing are part of the Central school district.

Forty-five percent of Coast Guard personnel do not live in government housing because of the very limited amount of government housing available to Coast Guard members.



“When it comes to Team Work, Team Lally is the best!. Great communication and customer service. Adrianne and Attilio kept us updated during the entire process of selling our home. The entire helped us through the process and gave us great advice. Thank you Team Lally!!!”