Sports & Recreation
Although Honolulu has no professional sports teams, its year-round mild weather and varied environment makes the area perfect for a variety of sports and other recreational events, whether you are hoping to sit on the sidelines or participate yourself.
For spectators interested in professional sports, Honolulu is host to the National Football League Pro Bowl, which is held at the end of the NFL season and features that season’s best players from across the country.
Honolulu’s climate lends itself to year-round fitness activities and spectator sports. Fan favorites include the football, volleyball, basketball, and baseball programs of the University of Hawaii at Manoa and high school sporting events.
- University Of Hawaii at Manoa, www.uhm.hawaii.edu, or the Warriors, has a major NCAA sports program including men’s and women’s basketball, swimming and diving, tennis and volleyball, men’s baseball, football and golf, and women’s cross-country, sailing, soccer, softball, track and field and water polo.
- Interscholastic League of Honolulu, www.ilhsports.com, consists of twenty-seven athletic programs, twenty co-ed schools, two schools for boys and four schools for girls.
High School Sports
Almost as fun to watch as it is to play, roller derby is a fast growing, high adrenaline sport. With two leagues on the island, wheeled action is never in short supply.
The Aloha City Rollers – featuring a certain LallyGagHer (aka Adrienne Lally) – are a flat track league open to men and women over the age of 18. You can show up for their bouts if you want to watch or even join up. http://www.alohacityrollers.com/
Pacific Roller Derby is an all-female flat track league that skates at Kamiloiki Community Park. Check out their web page for schedules and more details. http://www.pacificrollerderby.com
Participant Sports and Activities
Parks and Recreation Departments
The Department of Parks and Recreation maintains and manages all parks and recreational facilities throughout Honolulu County. Its mission is to enhance the quality of life of Oahu residents through active and passive recreational opportunities.
Hours of operation, free swim, lap swim, classes, closures due to inclement weather and costs vary. For specific information, call the number listed beside the pool.
- Kanewai, 808-733-7365
- Kapaolono, 808-733-7369
- Manoa, 808-988-6868
- Palolo, 808-733-7362
- Booth, 808-522-7037
- Kalihi Valley, 808-832-7814
- Makiki, 808-521-4803
- Moanalua, 808-831-7106
- Salt Lake, 808-831-4377
A city program started in 1975, this program provides people living in the Honolulu’s densely populated communities access to garden
plots. The program consists of 10 gardens. Interested residents apply for
a plot in one of the gardens, and then pay a small fee for each year they use it. For complete information about locations and fees, visit www.honolulu.gov/parks/hbg/crgp.htm.
The varied terrain surrounding Honolulu awaits residents with a wide variety of places for treks of all types, long or short, from an easy stroll to more strenuous hikes. Here are a few popular routes for hikers:
- Aihualama Trail to Nuuanu Overlook, 5.6 miles
- Alapena Pool and Falls, half a mile
- Foster Botanical Garden, one mile
- Judd Memorial Trail to Jackass Ginger Pool, one mile
- Makiki Valley Loop, two miles
- Manoa Cliff – Kalawahine Loop, 4.8 miles
- Manoa Falls, 1.6 miles
- Moleka and Ualakaa Trails, two miles
- Nuuanu Trail to Nuuanu Overlook, 5.6 miles
- Oahu: The Koolaus, 20 miles
- Oahu: The Pali Lookout, one mile
- Puu Ohia – Pauoa Flats Loop, three miles
- Puu Pia Trail, 1.8 miles
- Waahila Ridge Trail, 3.5 miles
Some area employers may offer a chance to play sports through corporate teams, so be sure to ask your employer if there are existing teams – or if you might start one. These independent groups also offer several sports each.
- Honolulu Triathlon, www.honolulutriathlon.com
- Island Triathlon & Bike, 808-732-7227, www.itbhawaii.com
- · Momentum Multisport, 808-737-4474, www.momentumhi.com
- Hawaii Active, 866-766-6284, www.hawaiiactive.com
City Solve Urban Race is a one-day, Honolulu amazing race. This scavenger hunt will take you to answer trivia questions, complete challenges and take on other activities as you unfold the puzzle. The adventure game takes you through many exciting neighborhoods, such as Chinatown, The Arts District and some cool places you might not even know about. On this urban adventure, you’ll solve clues ranging from pop culture to math to American history and much more. Along the way you’ll face exciting challenges like bowling a strike, building a house of cards or identifying a flavor of ice cream. For all the fun details, check out www.citysolveurbanrace.com.
- Ohana Batting Cages, 808-486-4487
- I 9 Sports, 808-394-1100
- Honolulu Basketball Club, www.honolulubasketball.org
- Rainbow Basketball Classic, www.oahu.aloha-hawaii.com/activities/rainbow+classic
- Hawaii All Star Paintball, 808-842-7827, three fields, equipment rentals and food
- 808PBHI, 808-864-1610, www.808paintballhawaii.com, gear, events and teams
- Brothers Paintball Supply, 808-723-5969, gear and supplies
- Paintball Central, 808-842-3720, www.pbchawaii.com, gear, supplies and teams
- Major Island Soccer Organization, 808-722-8889, www.islandsoccer.com. Men’s women’s and juniors leagues at all skill levels.
- Hawaii Bicycling League, 808-735-5756, www.hbl.org, promotes cycling for health, recreation, and transportation through advocacy, education, and events.
- Eki Cyclery, 808-847-2005, www.ekicyclery.com, bikes and other gear.
- Country Cycles, 808-638-8866, bicycle rentals.
- Bike Factory, 808-596-8844, www.bikefactoryhawaii.com, gear, teams, and events
- Boca Hawaii, 808-591-9839, www.bocahawaii.com, gear, training and races
- The Bicycle Shop, 808-596-0588, www.bicycleshops.us, sales and repairs
- Sandy Beach, 8800 Kalanianaole Hwy
- Waikiki Beach, Waikiki
- Makapuu Beach, 41-225 Kalanianaole Highway
- Halona Beach Cove, Kalanian’ole Highway
- Kuhio Beach, 808-843-8002, Kalakaua Ave
- Honolulu Screamer, 808-597-8669, www.honoluluscreamer.com
- Honolulu Boat Show, www.honoluluboatshow.com
- Honolulu Sailing, 808-239-3900, www.honsail.com
- Adventure Sailing Hawaii, 808-224-6213, www.sailinghawaii.com
- Waikiki Jet Ski, 808-224-8585, www.jetskiwaikiki.com
- X-treme Parasailing, 808-737-3599, www.xtremeparasail.com
- Oahu Bowling Association, 808-845-4111, www.oahuba.org
- Pro Bowl Ohana Committee, 808-595-3429,
- USBC Women’s Bowling, 808-566-6606
- Golden Bowl, 808-524-7740
- Mak Bowl, 808-841-8781
- Park Plaza, 808-536-6137
- Hawaiian Island Twisters, 808-839-4494, www.hawaiianislandtwisters.com
- Aloha Gymnastics World, 808-842-5642
- Crossfit Oahu, 808-685-7630, http://crossfitoahu.com/
BMX Bicycle Racing
With 46 dance studios, Honolulu, www.honolulu.gov, provides dance opportunities such as Hula, ballroom, Chinese, country, folk, belly dancing and many more.
- Gunstock Ranch, 808-293-2026, www.gunstockranch.com
- Kualoa Ranch, 808-538,7636, www.kualoa.com
- Barbers Point Riding Club, 808-682-4955
- Koko Crater Equestrian Center, 808-395-2628
- The Horse Source, 808-395-3699, www.the horsesource.com
- Department of Land and Natural Resources, 808-587-0167, www.hawaii.gov/dlnr
- Blue Nun Sport Fishing, 866-548-8789, www.blue nunsportfishing.com
- Magic Sport Fishing, 808-596-2998, www.magic sportfishing.com
- Big Fish Hawaii, www.bigfish-hawaii.com
- Maggie Joe Sport Fishing, www.maggiejoe.com
- Aikane Sport Fishing, 866-920-0979, www.aikanesportfishing.com
- Kuu Huapala Sport Fishing, 808-596-0918, www.sportfishinghawaii.com
- Honolulu Disc Golf Association, www.hdga.com
- Professional Disc Golf Association, www.pdga.com
Disc Golf (Frisbee)
Honolulu is a golfer’s paradise, with dozens of golf courses on the island. You can find a full listing of courses at www.golflink.com/golf-courses/city.aspx?dest=Honolulu+HI. Here is just a sampling of what’s available for golfers in Honolulu.
- Ala Wai Golf Course, 808-733-7384, www.honolulu.gov/des/golf/alawai.htm, is a municipal, flat, sporty course with views of Diamond Head, the Koolau mountain range and the Waikiki skyline.
- Hawaii Kai Golf Course, 808-395-2358, www.hawaiikaigolf.com, is a public, championship course and executive course. The Pacific Ocean can be seen from every hole, and tropical winds blowing from the ocean are both pleasant and challenging.
- The City and County of Honolulu, www.honolulu.gov/des/golf/index.htm, 808-733-7381, operates six public golf courses on the island.
- Ko’Olina Golf Club, www.koolinagolf.com, 808-676-5300, is a challenging 18-hole course on the Western part of the island. Designed by Ted Robinson, this championship course boasts exceptional water features.
- Honolulu Scuba Company, 808-220-0577, classes, boat dives, beach dives, day and night dives
- AAA Diving, 808-617-2822, www.aaadiving.com, daily dives and certification classes
- Hanauma Bay Snorkeling, 808-373-5060, www.hanaumabaysnorkel.com
- Hawaii Nautical, 808-255-5170, www.hawaiinautical.com, snorkeling, scuba diving, snuba
- Waikiki Diving Company, 808-922-2121, www.waikikidiving.com, group diving
- Aquazone, 808-923-3483, beginner diving
- Ice Palace Hawaii, 808-487-9921, www.icepalacehawaii.com, skate school, hockey school and public skating
- Skating Fitness, 808-487-9921, www.skatingfitness.com, ice skating, hockey, in line skating and skateboarding
- Island Lacrosse, 808-384-6701, www.islandlacrosse.com, gear
- Hawaii Lacrosse International, www.hawaiilacrosse.com, teams for men, women and children, tournaments
Adult or child, amateur or pro, you can find a place to learn and practice judo, karate and other martial arts in Honolulu.
- Martial Arts in Honolulu, 808-377-5040, www.martialartshonolulu.com, adult and children classes and a free trial period
- Ultimate Fight School, 808-626-5283, www.ultimatefightschool.com, private lessons available
- Traditional Taekwondo Center, 808-949-1090, www.taekwondohonolulu.com, classes available for men, women and children
- Hawaii Karate Association, 808-551-9405, www.hkadojo.com, classes for men, women and children
- Universal Kempo Karate, 808-454-0444, www.universalkempo.com, classes for all ages
- Honolulu Marathon., 808-734-7200, www.honolulumarathon.org, is the world’s sixth largest marathon with about 25,000 runners competing each year. The race is open to anyone who can pay the entry fee, with no qualifying standards to meet and no time limit to finish the course. All runners receive an official time and certificate.
- Great Aloha Run, www.greataloharun.com, Hawaiian name “Ke kukini me ke aloha pau‘ole”; This race is recognized nationally as one of the top “100 Great Road Races.” The 8.15-mile foot race begins at Aloha Tower and finishes in the Aloha Stadium. It features age group divisions, wheelchair and hand cycle competitors and walkers.
- Honolulu Bulls Soccer Club, 808-561-4663, www.hscbulls.com, tournaments and events
- Honolulu City Football (soccer) Club, www.honolulucityfc.com, boys and girls teams
- AYSO (American Youth Soccer Organization), www.aysosoccer.net; Region 178 of this national group with boys and girls teams is in Honolulu.
- US Tennis Association, 808-955-6696, www.hawaii.usta.com
- Diamond Head Tennis Center, 808-971-7150, 10 courts
- Ala Moana Tennis Courts, 808-592-7031, 10 courts
- Girls who Surf, 808-371-8917, www.girlswhosurf.com, lessons and rentals
- Waikiki Beach Services, 808-542-0608, www.waikikibeachservices.com, lessons
- Hawaiian Fire, 808-737-3473, lessons and photos
- Beach Boy Hale, 808-382-4524, www.beachboyhale.com, private, semi private and group lessons
- Aloha Surf Guide, 808-223-0482, lessons, gear, breaks and tides
- Affordable Fitness, 808-348-2145, www.myaffordablefitness.com
- Bodytune Hawaii, 808-951-7677
- Club 50 Fitness Center, 808-593-9292, wwwclub50fitness.com
- Evolutionary Fitness Institute, 808-587-8443
- Fitness Together, 808-988-3959, www.fitnesstogether.com
- Gold’s Gym, 808-533-7111, www.goldsgym.com
- 24 Hour Fitness, www.24hourfitness.com, has 7 locations on Oahu
Health Clubs and Gyms
Honolulu has eight locations offering sports, fitness activities and more. Most locations have pools and programs such as summer camps for children, as well as daycare. For more information on programs, rates and membership, go to www.ymcahonolulu.org or call 808-536-3556.
“When it was time to sell our family vacation property we interviewed many people. Team Lally has amazing marketing which draws buyers from all over the United States and even the world. They had the property sold for a great price in a reasonable timeframe plus they had fabulous staff who took the time to keep all of our family informed throughout the entire process. I can’t say enough good stuff. Call them!”
“Team-Lally Rocks! It’s great to be considered a part of the Team-Lally family! After 13 years away from Hawaii, and looking for a house on the Ewa plain, we hooked up with a Team Lally realtor who was showing a house that we visited. Throughout the buying process, the knowledgeable staff addressed any problems that we encountered and concerns that we raised. We left the process feeling that our interests were properly represented and protected. This is the very thing that we expect from my realtor and weren’t disappointed. Our relationship didn’t end there. Through customer appreciation events (great food and prizes), newsletters and other resources, we stay connected. Also, if we have a question about market trends or need a contact for everything from a mortgage broker for refinancing or a plumber, we send an email or pick up a phone for a quick response—in practice, this team is really a network of businesses that work well together to meet the many needs of the customer. This is what the relationship between customer and realtor should look like, but seldom does. If we buy or sell again, we know who we’re calling—Team Lally! Joe & Tammy Waligura.”
“Team Lally is amazing!! What a great experience dealing with a stressful time in our family’s life! They were easy to talk to and knew everything we needed! I would recommend them to anyone looking to buy OR sell a home in Hawaii!”
“Aloha, My name is Bryon Tucker. My wife and I sold our home via Short Sale with Remax Team Lally. We are very pleased with the sale! I have had the pleasure of working with Adrienne & Attilio for the past several years. They work hard and educate themselves. There is nobody in this business that works harder, studies more, and has the experience to sell your home.! And their marketing systems is second to none!! They make it easy….they handle the banks for you…so you don’t have to! When it comes to selling your home in distress, do what I did! Sell your home with Remax Team Lally! Yay!!!!”
“To put it simply…Team Lally never gave up! The short sale of our home was dragging on for more than a year! With Team Lally it was completely over in 4 months. Thank you Team Lally.”
“We had a friend that asked who could help their move to paradise. It sounds cool however they were stressed. After making a couple of calls, I knew who they needed to call. Team Lally exceeded their expectations and after the first call the stress level went way down. Thanks for your help. We can’t wait to make our visit and give you a hug in person.”
“Team Lally did a wonderful job selling our home and answering all of our questions and concerns! Howard and Christopher have been there for my every need even after the sale of my home! A wonderful crew over there!”
“Adrienne and her team were immediately responsive to my inquiry about their services and very thorough from the beginning. They applied their expertise through the listing, sale and close of my home at a high level of satisfaction for me. The sale of my home closed in just under 3 months. I moved out of state and felt they did an excellent job of communicating with me as an absentee seller.”
“Adrienne and her team helped us find our condo in Makakilo, HI. We were very happy with all of their on going help after purchase like referrals and yearly associate parties. Go Team Lally!”
“My husband used to work with one of the agents and we were put on their mailing list. We have really enjoyed all the information that we receive. “